Monday, February 7, 2011

Silence

     Last Friday, I went the entire day without talking.  The only communication that I did was by illustrating what I was trying to say or acting it out.  Yes and no questions were easy.  But, I found that when I was trying to explain something, I could not express my self the way I wanted to.  I could not use as much detail as I wanted either.  In example, I tried to say something that I did Thursday, but, my picture could not describe it and I could not act it out.  This caused a major dilemma and ultimately I simply decided it was not important to say.
     Relating to Postman's book, I found that as he said, I could not express myself.  Someone could ask me questions until I they got the answer right but I, on my own, could not really say anything.  This did teach me a lesson.  I never realized how helpless I was without words to say how I felt.

4 comments:

  1. I wonder if people are not aware of how communication has been limited or altered. I mean even a frog doesn't recognized he's being boiled to death. Could we be in the same proverbial pot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you said that when you were "trying to explain something, I could not express myself the way I wanted to." This was so true because it really is impossible to clearly express yourself with a communication medium as effective as a smoke signal, as Postman argued.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like how you said yes and no responses were easy. i suppose this is because the content of yes/no questions is more shallow than that of a full sentence response.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "This caused a major dilemma and ultimately I simply decided it was not important to say."

    That happened to me so many times on Friday. I was trying to say something, and when no one could understand, I just gave up and decided it didn't really matter.

    ReplyDelete